Heimlich this Henry F. Miller

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 23:11:30 +1000

Guy,

I too can only concur with Roger that planing the bridge might not be
in the best interests of the tone quality.  Furthermore, planing the
bridge height may reduce the string offset across the bridge to a
unacceptable degree. Either a half round bar or a hard maple bearing
(which could be conveniently profiled to achieve the desired down
bearing) might help you to achieve the results you're after. On many
occasions we've used hard maple bearings with bearing cloth glued
over them prior to restringing. The maple is easily profiled to set
the appropriate bearing, while the felt covering damps the back scale
sufficiently without listing felt. I'm not a big fan of undamped rear
string scales if they are untuned.

Bridge height does seem to have a bearing (if you'll forgive the
term) on the sustaining qualities. Low bridges tend to encourage a
short shocky tone. I prefer  the bridge height to be at least 30 mm
and nominally around 34 mm or over. Of course, the rigidity of the
ribs will also influence sustain, but the bridge has a significant
influence.

Last year I inspected a contemporary concert piano designed by a well
known 'designer'. The 24 mm high bridges in the middle of the long
bridge resulted in perhaps the worst case of short and shocky tone I
have heard from a modern concert piano. Clearly, this piano was
designed without due consideration being given to the relationship
between the plate and sound board panel height (which will ultimately
determine the nominal bridge height). We must always be careful about
the design parameters which may or may not influence the tonal
qualities. Bridge height, rib strength (and length), plate thickness
and rim rigidity are all factors which must be considered together to
achieve the desired sustaining qualities.

Our piano no. 003 (the one exhibited at Reno) had 34 mm high by 35 mm
wide bridges, while piano no. 001 had just 30 mm high by 35 mm wide
bridges (most other sound board specs were pretty much identical).
The increase in sustaining qualities between the two pianos was
noticeable.

Regards,

Ron O
--