Letters in Serial Numbers

John Lillico, RPT staytuned@idirect.com
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 18:46:17 -0500

Most Kawai serial numbers start with a "K". Now I've seen an "M" and an "A". What do they designate?

With Yamaha, is a U1H a model "U1H" or a model U1 with an "H" forming part of the serial number? Whatever the answer, is it consistent throughout the various models.

With Samick, I knew that the three letters prior to the number designate the month and year of manufacture; i.e., HHH (Aug. 88), regardless of model.  Does this still apply?

Does anyone know of any other coding used by manufacturers?

I'll stay on for a couple of days to see who has the answers.

Many thanks.

John Lillico, RPT
Oakville, ON, Canada