tapping new agraffes

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 05:34:54 EDT

David writes:
> Even in the case of old Steinways with the 7/32" shank, I've often thought
of drilling out the whole for the larger 1/4" size and retapping to insure
against future breakage.

Greetings,
    At Reno,  I had a chance to talk to several techs who replace a lot of
agraffes. The 7/32" were not the most prone to breakage, it was the later
style that did.  I believe that any size agraffe will break if it is torqued
too tightly upon installation. I Have see the tops of them bent on factory
fresh pianos!
   Nossman tells me that he taps them out for 1/4" as a matter of course, and
I think the next time I decide to change them, I will do the same.  I was
unable to find ANY true 7/32" threads on the new agraffes.  (7/32" is .218",
and I could only find these units with threads that measured .210". This
didn't allow enough thread engagement and I stripped the first two that I
installed. )  Beware the new!
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT