bosendorfer research

Elian Degen J. degen@telcel.net.ve
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 01:33:24 -0400

Wim, Terry and List

 I also use that approach, roughly and  it works for me it is a question =
of intrpretation, the rule works substracting 25% from the remaining=20

This way if a piano value is lets say 100000.00  after 10 years 75000.00 =
 next ten years 56250.00 and so on in 40y you end up with a US$ 31640.00 =
(applied to a bossie or S&S.... ) For me that would be the value of a =
high end piano in top condition, from that you substract the cost of =
repairs and end up with quite a good aprox.=20

Now if you go for a low end or inexpensive not so good piano, go to =
the25% each 5y   ie US$ 5000.00 piano  in 20y you are left with a US$ =
1581.00 which looks to me pretty near reality, and after all is just a =
rule of thumb the technicians expertisse is the one which will end up =
adjusting that aprox.=20

My opinion at least

Elian

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2001 10:51 PM
  Subject: Re: bosendorfer research

  In a message dated 7/26/01 7:20:45 AM Central Daylight Time,=20
  mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:=20

    I'm always trying to better my ability to value pianos. My =
understanding=20
    (from Larry Fine's book) is that a good rule of thumb is to devalue =
a piano=20
    from new, 25% every 5 to 10 years. Using that, this Bosey might be =
worth=20
    less than $40,000. Larry's guide does not take into account =
calculating=20
    cost of repairs.=20

    I curious about just how you figure for something like this. Is this =
your=20
    general rule to take 10% off per year and then subtract cost of =
repairs to=20
    make it like new? My guess is this would fall apart for a piano that =
is in=20
    very good condition and 20 years old, but might be real good for =
older=20
    pianos. Please fill me/us in on any details I have not identified. =
Thanks!=20

    Terry Farrell=20

  Terry=20

  I think Larry's figures are too high. The way he has it, in 40 years a =
piano=20
  would have no value. We all know that is not true. Even when you take =
my=20
  figure of 10% per ten years you have to take into consideration =
overall=20
  condition, original quality, etc. And that is not even counting cost =
of=20
  repairs.=20

  Wim  =20