Steinway

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 23:04:21 EDT

In a message dated 7/26/01 5:24:50 PM Central Daylight Time, JIMRPT@AOL.COM
writes:

> "Invest" in an S&S to make money?? Well
> I wouldn't suggest it........... but over the long term you would certainly
> lose less than with some competitive brands.
>
> I would be interested in 'specifics' as to these "unethical" practices by
> S&S. Short of 'specifics' I would rather think this sort of stuff ought to
> be
> in private and not on the list.........but that is just my opinion.
> Jim Bryant (FL)

This has been brought out before, by me. Three years ago a customer asked me
to appraise a S&S S he had bought 10 years earlier for $20,000. He was told
the "investment" story by the local dealer and now wanted to cash in his
investment, and make a bundle. He called the Steinway dealer and was told new
S's were selling for $35,000. He assumed that is what he could get for his
piano. He was astounded that I would not only not give him $35,000, but that
his piano was worth at most $20,000 if he tried to sell it himself, and that
I would only give him $10,000

I am sure there are other customers who have been "duped" the same way. This
is, in my opinion an unethical way of doing business. And from what I see on
the list, many others agree. Look at the Steinway web site. There is nothing
wrong with what they say. But the way they say it leaves a lot to be desired.

Wim