(Fwd) International Convention?

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 22:16:32 -0400

On paper, the cruise ship idea is a wonderful idea for a convention
site...but it wouldn't work. Even though everything is self-contained with
amenities galore( and food to die for), it is a logistical nightmare with
too many restrictions to accommodate our needs.
  The biggest hurdle is that cruise ships run on  tight turn-around
schedules, as they are usually in port no more than a day, maybe only 10
hrs., just enough time to get refueled and greet new passengers. There would
be no room for error with getting pianos,exhibit supplies, and attendees on
board.   The pianos literally would have to be in the loading dock space
ready to be put on board within a very short window of time. A special
moving crew would have to be assigned to make this happen within a few
hours.  That in itself would be a miracle if that could be pulled off.
Likewise, the removal of all pianos and exhibit hall stuff would have to be
timed with extreme care.
Believe or not, another problem would be amply teaching room space. Yes,
there are oodles of cabin space, dining halls, and a few theatre rooms..but
really not suitable teaching rooms in a close proximity for what we do.
I just did the concert work on board the  QE2 and sailed from England to NYC
for the "Piano Cruise".  I got a good dose of the workings of these ships
and the idea of a convention crossed my mind several times.  But after
examining the logistics I quickly realized it couldn't work for our needs.
Have you considered the cost? It's bad enough with the amount of technicians
who complain about the current costs of attending a convention.  Cruise
ships do an all-inclusive approach ( plus built in tips) which makes for
quite a costly endeavor.
The average "Joe Tuner" would be "priced out" of attending that event.
How about rough seas?  Ever try tuning a piano with 20- 40ft seas? Even
tuning on10 ft seas is enough to make one go bonkers. Pianos on board also
are reinforced with special leg plates to tolerate the high seas as things
can rock and roll, literally. Do you thing Fazioli would retrofit a special
reinforce iron support system for the legs?
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade. But as I said, the idea of the
convention on board is a wonderful concept.  There are just too many
obstacles which would have to be over-come to make this work.
Tom Servinsky,RPT
----- Original Message ----- From: "John Ross" <piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca>