Wet and Wild Steinway

Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 22:00:11 EDT

In a message dated 7/25/2001 8:42:38 PM Central Daylight Time,
RNossaman@KSCABLE.com writes:

<<  Assuming that this is a reasonably accurate assessment of the status
 quo, rather than the random ravings of yet another unenlightened soul not
 getting what he thinks is his due, using the S&S rebuilding facility as a
 price benchmark serves quite admirably as an unquestionably authoritative
 validation of the new price increases we all have coming (since it's
 universally agreed that we work too cheap for the magic we produce). No
 matter how many wretched killer octaves, honking low tenors, dinking
 trebles, and flat soundboards folks encounter in these pianos, the
 entrenched mystique will carry the day and these defects will become
 features before the ink even dries on the marketing copy. They barely even
 have to try anymore, so why shouldn't we take some advantage of a
 psychological aberration we couldn't correct if we lived forever,  >>

As usual, well-put. If, however, there were enough lost voices in the
wilderness, voices that together had some audibility and clarity (unlike some
sw clunkers), perhaps it would make a difference. I personally will quietly
and gently carry on the attempt to bring SW to their senses. I would be ever
so happy to find in them a true benchmark for quality, but I do not, as you
have so aptly echoed. It is the infernal screeching of the sales domain over
the loss of quality that keeps me going, plus the inherent conflict of
interest between the stated ethical posture of the guild and the very
questionable ethical behavior of SW. Anyone working for SW who is also a
member of the guild mayhap should find out what their employer is up to and
make a decision of some sort. So. Thus. And such. Thanks for the rejoinder.
Sorry to have missed you in Reno.
PR-J