bosendorfer research

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 11:23:12 -0700 (PDT)

--- Ron Nossaman <RNossaman@KSCABLE.com> wrote:
> >1)  has anyone ever experienced loss of crown as a
> result of a minor
> >dropping of a piano?  This might sound like a silly
> question, but that is
> >what the technicians for the plaintiff are
> claiming.  Any thoughts?
>
> Not silly at all. This question comes up locally
> every year or so from a
> customer with a freshly moved piano. No, I don't see
> any way that dropping
> a piano short of destroying it would flatten the
> board. How could it? Even
> then, the remaining pieces of the soundboard would
> have as much crown as
> they did in the piano. I suspect that no tech had
> ever actually checked the
> crown prior to the move. If they had, they would
> have most likely found the
> same conditions you're seeing now.
>

> >2)  what would you value a 30 year old Bosey
> imperial at with a zero crown,
> >0.5mm downbearing only on the front of the bridge,
> beaten-up body, cracks in
> >several ivory keys, and poor regulation and tuning
> stability?  Please
> >indicate if you are using U$ or CAN dollars!
>

> I have no idea, but considering the very small
> market for 9'(+) pianos, I
> would think it's not worth much. If it is eventually
> sold cheap, Stephen
> Airy is interested.

LOL.

how about cheap as in -- (hold onto your keyboard....)

< $10 incl shipping?  (problem is I don't know if I
have a place for it right now -- I think I do but my
parents might disagree ;)

BTW speaking of which -- what would you say I would
expect to reasonably pay for any 9 foot grand that
needs restoration short of pinblock/soundboard/bridge
repair/replacement?  I'm thinking badly out of
regulation but so that at least 90% of the notes still
play, and maybe a full step flat or more.