bosendorfer research

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 07:17:08 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Wim,

You wrote:
> Brian.  A carcass value of $10K? A 7' Steinway can
> get that much. Don't
> forget, this is a piano valued new at $175,000. I
> would put a carcass value
> of around
> $40,000 -- $50,000.

You may very well be right.  The Bose might indeed
have a much higher carcass value...

I could indeed be convinced otherwise at some point in
the future, but the words "white elephant" keep coming
to mind.  Yes, it's a wonderful piano.  But what it's
worth in dollars depends upon who wants it and what
they're willing to pay.  If the carcass value is
placed at $50K and the cost to totally rebuild is
(let's just say) $25K, that's $75K which is awfully
close to the price of a NEW Steinway concert grand.
(I didn't say the Steinway is better.  But I believe
many would perceive it to be.)

Such a 'sticky wicket' we've engaged, huh?  :-)

Sincerely, no offense intended.  Just spouting off a
bit.

Back to work...

Brian

=====