Wet and Wild Steinway

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 18:10:38 EDT

<<     Ceiling tile debris soaked and plastered to the case and strings,
reddish finish running off when I lifted the lid, action soaked and frozen,
keys frozen, rust starting on strings and pins (and bridge pins), etc.  What
say ye?    Piano is insured.  Is it trashed, or what?>>

Send pictures to New York.  Let them tell you if the piano is salvagable.
I had an identical situation two years ago.  1885 model A in Rosewood, very
wet.  By the time New York put in a new board, block, refinished,etc.  and I
had built the action,  the insurance company had over $22,000 in the piano,
which was a lot easier to take than the $45,000 it would have required to
replace.
     I think this piano will be fine with a new board, block, strings,
bridges, action, finish, etc.  Probably cost of restoration will be 75% of a
new price, which should be a viable target.
Good luck,
Ed Foote RPT