Tuning Complaint - Client Relationship

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 08:34:50 -0400

On 7/20/01 4:48 AM, "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>The bottom line is do I charge them for a tuning (if they have a pianist
>with an ear and considering climatic conditions, the piano should likely be
>tuned every 2 to 3 months), or should I do a complete tuning for free to
>preserve that "feel good" climate (as unstable as it is!).

I'd also offer an intermediate possibility, a rough tuning taking no
longer than 30 minutes. Depending on where the A's are, the actual
out-of-tuneness may be in the middle of the piano. As you push a
fresh temperament upwards and downwards, you may find that the entire
bass section falls right in line, with the possible exception of the
top couple of notes on the bass bridge, and that the treble will
begin to line up somewhere in the 5th/6th octave. Assuming of course
that there is no significant wear on the unisons, you can point to
the warping of the octaves as the work of weather changes.

If they're looking for a free tuning after two months of weather
changes, a 30-minute rough tuning for the price of a service call
(for me $25) is a good compromise. But I wouldn't get out of there
without laying down a strict maintenance plan, so that you don't get
stuck like this again in the future. Customers can sometimes be like
kids, looking for structure from parents <g>

>Client called up last night and said she had been meaning to call for the
>last three weeks because the pianist said the piano is flat (pianist is out
>of town - that's all I could get out of secretary).

If you're really going to do good business with these people, you
need better lines of communication than this. Good luck on
this,although you're probably on your way there as I write this.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"If ducks were smart enough and well-built enough, they'd be shooting
at us. It's not my fault they can't aim and shoot."
     ...........Talk Show host Rush Lamebaugh, explaining why duck
hunting is a sport, 1/12/98