action brackets -- ditto

Mark Ultsch multsch@jvlnet.com
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 20:16:10 -0500

What a coincidence!  I just broke an Everett bracket today trying to get it
in the cradle.  It broke --quite easily I might add -- right at the ear that
provides the stop for the hammer rail.  For brevity, I'll not talk about how
I felt about that.

I noticed some things:  it is a die casting, which are almost exclusively
zinc-, aluminum- magnesium- and copper-base alloys.  It's not too strong in
bending thin sections.

A second observation is that in the middle of this T-section part that broke
is a big (larger than .011 Diameter.  Some methods of die casting have
problems of porosity in the cast part to the degree that it is accepted and
considered in the design of the part.  I wonder how much  porosity
contributed to the fracture in this case.

I wonder if you have a similar problem with porosity.  It's certainly too
late to have something like that covered under a warantee., isn't it?

Mr. ACE the helpful hardware man recommended JB WELD Epoxy, too.  I hope it
works!

I hope I haven't been too detailed (and boring)  here.  It's comes from 18
years as an engineer.  I hope to recover from that soon.

Mark Ultsch
Soon-to-be Associate Member
Southern  WI