Tuning exams in Reno

Ryan sowers pianova440@hotmail.com
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 10:19:29 -0700

One of the most enjoyable aspects of attending an annual convention is
helping out with exams. What a outstanding group of examiners we had this
year! I think the tuning exam is loads of fun. Every time we go through it I
am impressed again by how fair and thorough it is. Best of all is that first
moment after you've told someone that they've passed! You get this burst of
positive energy that makes it all worth while. Some of these men and women
who have been tuning for many years and finally get the nerve up to face the
exam, are very stressed out and nervous. Who can blame them? Its so
wonderfull when you see all that stress just drain off of them.

I think the exam is an amazing deal! You get over 3 hours of time from 3
professional technicians who are used to making at least $50 an hour for
their time. Combined, these folks would expect to make $450 if they spent
the same amount of time working on pianos.  The exam is a bargain at $90!
And remember,none of that money goes to the examiners. They are all
volunteers. Furthermore, its not just an exam. There is always a bit of
education that goes along with it. Pass or fail you can't lose.

Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter, #985
Olympia, WA