Piano Organizational Software for Mac

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 22:20:51 -0400

At 10:37 PM -0700 7/17/01, Eliot Lee wrote:
>     Same dilemma, most software developers just don't care about Mac users.
>IF they did these programs would exist, but the fact of the matter is they
>don't and the developers could easily make them cross platform if they
>wanted to.    Like Dean has with his RCT, actually he first made RCT for
>Mac, but since most people don't use Mac, he expanded his program to include
>Windows. Now very many tuners use RCT. Maybe soon he will make it possible
>to use on Linux or Unix.
>
>     Dave Peake has FIlemaker Pro templates.  FIlemaker Pro is one of the
>best database programs out there which already is cross platform, and there
>is a possibility better Filemaker  programs will be developed when
>independent programmers see the potential in it. Not many tuners are
>computer savvy enough to do it anyway.  NOw I am talking to one student now
>about designing a program for me.  Already he is talking about money without
>knowing the work it entails.
>
>Eliot Lee

The best way is to build your own. that's what I've done with a Mac
(now Windows) db called Panorama (http://www.provue.com). I know have
a file set which includes the telephone log (for keeping track of
messages and to-dos), customer file, and accounts receivable file,
all interlinked. I also do rebuild estimating with another set of db
files.

Somebody else's apps or templates will work well for them, but soon
you'll realize that what you really want is to train the computer to
perform the operations you would normally do on real paper at a real
desk. For instance, my phone log has the ability to look up in the
customer file for any customers in the same geographical area as the
new customer calling in, let me selectively edit that list, paste the
list into a convenient spot on the phone log form, which includes
phone numbers double-clickable for computer dialing.

Get a good database that's easy to script, and you'll really be
cooking with gas.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"When writing a mental note, first procure a mental piece of paper"
     ............mental graffitti