the class entitled BUILDING A $100K A YEAR PIANO SERVICE BUSINESS

Tom J Armstrong pianostom@juno.com
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 22:32:08 -0700

> Attending the class entitled BUILDING A $100K A YEAR PIANO SERVICE
BUSINESS,
 >taught by David Barr

I attended this class and agree that the title is a tease.  He did say
that he tunes 4 or 5 pianos a day- 6 days a week, which makes me tired
just thinking of it.  I can do that occasionally, but after a few days I
wilt.

On the other hand, he addressed areas that are seldom talked about: what
motivates us to do what we do, and the benefits of being a piano
technician.  If you are a new technician just trying to earn 30K, I
suppose you just were looking for a roadmap on how to advertise, etc.
There were other classes that do that.  You need to be patient, improve
your skills and reputation, and be motivated to develop your new business
wisely.  You also need to be willing to work HARD to make a lot of money.

David struck a chord, I believe, with those of us who have been working
for decades and sometimes face burnout.  There are days when I haven't
looked forward to getting out of bed in the morning to go to work.  Who
cares what kind of business building aids you have if you don't even
enjoy what you are doing!

This class caused me to ponder some important motivational needs in my
own life, and I am sure I wasn't the only one to benefit.  The class
wasn't perfect (neither were the others)- but I still give it a thumbs
up.  It certainly wasn't the weakest presentation I saw.

Tom Armstrong