coil maker...

Ralph & Frances Thorn pianoralph@sympatico.ca
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 21:44:13 -0400

Terry,

I've been using a coil maker from APSCO since 1973 - it was my first
real piano tool, after a hammer, mutes, and fork.  Probably cost about
$ 2.50 at the time, and still works just fine.  I've never made a coil
on a pin in a piano yet, and don't really recommend this procedure.
Others might, and others will recommend a very fine coiler at a higher
price.

Good luck with your stringing job.  Just for interest, I watched my
time input on yesterday's bass stringing job:
    0)    previously rub strings, mic and notate, ship rubbing to
maker - 30 minutes
    1)    pack up necessary tools from the shop into the car - 20
minutes
    2)    prepare the piano - remove case parts and action - 15
minutes
    3)    remove all bass strings, clean plate in that area, clean
bridge, graphite cap, ream holes for 4/0 pins - 40 minutes
    4)    install strings by myself, apply some random tension - 60
minutes
    5)    pull up, tap level and tight, tap to bridge, tune twice - 30
minutes
    6)    re-assemble piano - 15 minutes

The time required for prepping the piano and re-assembly will vary.
This one was pretty extreme for an upright.

We tend to forget all the prep time necessary for a job, sort of like
how long does it take to sprint 100 metres?  Many years of practice,
and lots of time preparing for those few seconds of running.  We must
have the piano set up for the job, and ourselves set for the job,
too.  Never discount this time input.

Ralph Thorn