recommendations for piano buyer

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 07:37:19 -0400

"I would not mess with the tension resonator.  It is not designed to restore
crown ..."

Ditto.

"Investmentwise the M&H is a better investment.
Basic quality goes to the M&H also.
Rebuilt carefully the M&H will be a marvelous instrument...the asian piano
will always be what it is."

Ditto.

"Since you say that the tone is comparable on the new asian thingee and on
the
old wornout M&H and the prices are comparable I don't know if I would go so
far as to advise purchasing a new thingee over this old thingee...but than I
am not there and can't hear/see/feel the M&H."

Ditto, except that because of the age of the M&H and the general description
given, it sounds like the piano is worn out, and not one of those 1 in 100
old instruments that are actually in unusually good shape.

I think the answer is actually pretty simple. The piano teacher needs to
look down the road 10 years or so.

>From what you describe, the M&H is ready for complete rebuilding, including
board, now, or certainly within 10 years (my guess is that after she plays
it for a few weeks or months, she will agree). So the M&H will cost $10,000
plus the rebuilding cost (sounds to me like about $20,000, give or take
$5,000 depending on what you want to do with it). Does she want a world
class, hi-end instrument and is she willing to pay for it? If yes, then get
the M&H (although $10,000 for a salvage 5' 8" seems quite high).

If she can't tell the difference between a piano that Samick is ashamed to
put their name on and a good playing Baldwin, M&H, or Yamaha, and she only
has $10,000 to spend, then the no-name Asian piano is likely the way to go
(unless of course, you genuinely feel that the M&H IS one of those 1 in 100
old pianos that is in very good condition).

Terry Farrell