restringing bass

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 11:03:36 EDT

In a message dated 7/14/01 8:54:25 AM Central Daylight Time,
pianolover88@hotmail.com (pianolover 88) writes:

> But even at only 10 minutes
> per string (old off-new on) it's gonna take over EIGHT HOURS!!! So i'm
> thinking maybe I should refer it to another tech who has done lots of this

Terry,

The others have all given you good advice.  I'd like to address the issue of
whether it's worth it to you.  As someone who may only be experienced in
individual string replacement, you may want to accept this job if it will
give you some good, practical experience.  After all, it's not that much
different from doing the same job on a much more valuable piano.

It all depends on you having the time to do it for a price that is agreeable
to both you and the customer.  Remember, you are self employed.  You have the
right and privilege of making that determination, regardless of anyone else's
price structure. Someone with many years experience may be able to do the job
in a few hours and charge big bucks for it.  Usually, however, such a person
would not want to work on an old Upright.  You'd really be learning on the
job (although you wouldn't want to let your customer get that impression).
Considering that, you might well consider that a stipend type fee for the
time spent is appropriate.  So, if it suits you, Terry, you're the man for
the job.

Regarding the tilter:  It's a great tool and asset but it alone would cost
about what you'll get from this job.  You don't really need one to do it.
I'd suggest pulling the piano out from the wall, find some padding such as a
moving or other old blanket, tilt the piano back about 45 degrees with the
padding protecting the wall.  If the floor is not carpeted, you will need
padding for it too.

If you decide eventually that you will be doing reconditioning and rebuilding
projects on a regular basis, the tilt cart will be an appropriate item to
have.  It will probably not fit into a car.  You need a truck to take it to a
job.  I sold mine years ago.

Good luck.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin