New set of keys

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 06:59:49 -0400

Roger,

I am sending this reply to you personally but also to the list.  Normally all replies
are made to the list so all of us have the opportunity of learning from the various
things we run into.  If you requested responses to your home address because you are
not subscribed to the list, then you should know that subscribing is extremely easy
and costs nothing.  You can subscribe and unsubscribe as often as you wish.  Write if
you need clarification.

As to your question, I looked up the cost of a replacement keyboard, which includes
all the keysticks with new keytops and a new keyframe.  My price list from the
Pianotek Supply Company is a year old, which quotes $1,900.00 with plastic sharps.
Since the keys drop down at the back, you would have to check with them if they will
do it for that price, since I think they may be more difficult to make than flat
keys.  I am quite certain they would do a nice job, although I have no personal
experience with them on this type of thing.

Unless there is something very special about this piano, the cost of replacing the
keys is almost certainly way beyond the value of the whole thing, especially when you
add getting paid for all the time you will need to put into the job.  I'd be
interested in knowing what is decided on this one.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA