1920's model B Heintzman grand

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 06:18:28 -0400

How big is a model B?
 =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Paul Plumb=20
  To: PTG=20
  Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2001 11:13 PM
  Subject: 1920's model B Heintzman grand

  I need a little help with an appraisal I've done on a 1920's model B =
Heintzman grand. =20

  There was no serial number, but the plate was not redone. It had new =
strings and new size 5 pins.  Torque was excellent and pinblock looked =
good.  Hammers appear to be original, but reshaped.  Sound was not bad, =
but a little weak in the bass.  It could use new bushings on both front =
and balance rail - touch is very light.  Knuckles are approaching flat =
and let off is a big bump when played slowly.  Action needs to be =
regulated - no rise.  Treble strings very clear. Keytops excellent and =
original ivory and ebony.  Soundboard has two large cracks that have =
been shimmed and doweled - looks good.  Bridges are very good - minor =
cracks beside pins in low treble.

  This piano was purchased at an auction and then spruced up.  It has =
been refinished, however there are lines on the original bench which =
show where the wood was joined.  Otherwise the finish is beautiful red =
mahogany. =20

  I estimate this piano is worth about $10 - 12,000 CDN, but would =
greatly appreciate someone that has seen these making some comments.

  Thanks,

  Paul Plumb
  Plumb Pianos
  London, Ontario, Canada