traveling with tuning tools

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 07:35:04 -0500

Roger and list,

<<             I fly quite a bit with a full tool kit, it always has to go
baggage.  The box is pad locked, but as of yet not any real problems, even
across borders.>>

Last year, a couple of friends and I flew from Memphis to Arlington. My two
friends had their tool cases, aluminum with SATs and lots of meta tools.
When we went through Memphis security, security personnel briefly questioned
one about who he was. He had to sign some paper, giving his name and address
and maybe the purpose of his trip. No big deal at all, surprisingly,
considering the amount of metal and the SATIII. He was allowed to carry that
toolcase on with him. However, out of Arlington, nobody asked a single
question about his case, which had a few more metal tools in it he had
bought there. I mean, there was nothing said--no looks--nothing at all! We
were surprised and felt a little "unsecure." flying from that airport. But,
maybe they knew that there was a bunch of piano techs flying out, and knew
what to look for. ???

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS

mailto:jformsma@dixie-net.com