New set of keys

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 06:12:36 -0400

A big welcome to the list Roger! Thanks for contributing. However, unless
there is a pressing reason to respond privately, I will post my response on
the list - I hope you don't mind. That is how this list works though, you
get to see many different ideas on how to solve a problem - that is in part
where the big value of this list stems from.

Two good sources for replacement keys and keyframes are Rick Wheeler @
Roseland Piano Co (503) 654-1888 and Mark Bisso @ Pianotek (800) 347-3854.

However, any drop console that I have seen is usually among the lower end of
the piano quality spectrum, and has had a few trips around the block. I
don't have a clue as to what a new set of keys might cost (I would assume at
least $500 - maybe quite a bit more???) but I recommend seriously
considering, after you get a quote on key replacement, if it would be worth
doing the repair to the piano. Most drop console type pianos I have seen
would have a value of less than $1000, many less than $500. And keep in mind
that you will have to install the keyframe, remove the old, level, space,
etc. keys, some regulation, etc., so the keys themselves won't be the end of
fees for the owner.

What kind of insurance do they have. Many folks have what is referred to (I
think?) as "replacement" insurance. That is, if your TV, or refrigerator, or
couch (or piano) is destroyed, they will not just give you what it might
have been worth, but rather, they will replace it with a new one.

Good luck. Please let us know how this works out.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com