Key ratio/knuckle relationship

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 08:09:33 -0400

At 10:41 PM 07/09/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>I am having a set of new keys made for an 1899 S&S model A.  I have a
>choice of relocating the balance rail to set up the key ratio however I
>want.  Is there any benefit to having a lower key ratio and a shorter
>knuckle to center pin distance versus a higher key ratio and a longer
>knuckle to center pin distance?  Or is it six of one...?
>  See you in Reno.
>  David Love

Since your action spread is set, then knuckle radius is selected to result
in the jack being 90 degrees
to the shank at rest. Key ratio is determined by the best regulation (jack
clearing knuckle).

Bob Hopf wrote for the Journal a few months ago: Action Elevations.

regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net