Key ratio/knuckle relationship

Mon, 9 Jul 2001 20:24:54 -0700

Terry:

This came up in a thread awhile ago in which Stanwood participated.  I =
had inquired about a problem with a Steinway action.  I was just =
becoming familiar with David's system.  Bill Ballard at one point =
commented at one point (to paraphrase), what's the difference if it's a =
.55 key ratio and a 17 mm knuckle or a .50 ratio and a 16 mm knuckle, =
none really.  In practice it seems that there is no difference.  The =
larger arc scribed by the capstan with a KR of .55 is compensated for by =
the smaller arc scribed by the 17mm knuckle and vice versa.  Well now, =
given the opportunity to make a choice by moving the balance rail, I'm =
wondering if there is a benefit to one over the other.

David Love

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: July 09, 2001 7:41 PM
  Subject: Re: Key ratio/knuckle relationship

  Have you considered consulting with David Stanwood? Just a thought. =
I'm sure he would be an expert with this. Please let us know what you do =
and how it works out. Very interested in something like this. What an =
opportunity to improve/tweak the action.

  Terry Farrell
   =20
    ----- Original Message -----=20