Damp Chaser in old upright

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 11:28:57 -0400

> The energy
> "input" from a 50 watt rod is *only* 180 B.T.U's. Therefore a 50 rod can't
> increase the temperature of the whole piano much at all.

Again, that all depends on the rate of heat energy loss from the piano
during rod operation. Under normal circumstances, yes, you are right. But if
the piano had some super-minimal rate of heat loss (sealed up, etc.) the
temperature could be raised quite a bit - in fact, theoretically, up to
approaching the temperature of the rod itself! I only raise issues such as
this because I believe it is important to understand how these things work
and what the range of possibilities is - not to nit-pick.

> Where in
> the piano was your thermometer?

About keybed height - just going for an average/mid-point-type reading.

> Was it a min/max unit?

Yes

> Was it accurate?

Reasonably so - within a couple degrees. I do check them against a high
quality lab thermometer I have.

> Did
> you have more than one measuring device?

Yes, three or four.

> Was it an elcheapo from Radio
> Shack?

Yes, that type. Two were from Dampp-Chaser, one was a little bit more
expensive Bonaire, and one something else. I realize these are not highly
accurate hygrometers. They are better than nothing - I will be buying a real
good one when I finally install my first soundboard. Three of them always
are very near to one another with their respective readings, and I have
checked them against the weather reports of stable-type days and they were
within 5% or so of the reported RH on numerous occasions. So I am pretty
sure they are within, let's say 10% RH, and maybe better.

> What was the temperature outside the piano at the time?

78 F (26 C).
> Please don't
> be so fuzzy Terry *grin*.

Sorry, I didn't want to bore anyone with details.

> And please don't be such a fussy reader! LOL

I hope you are laughing. My humor is quite intact! Seriously though, I do
not mean for any of my zillion posts of subjects such as these to be
nit-picky. It's just that some things such as tuning a temperament, or
voicing a hammer, or applying a finish to a case do not lend themselves to
an analytical numbers game so well - or not at all. But other things about
pianos can be analyzed with measurements and calculations. The design and
operation of a dehumidifier can (and IMHO, should) be thoroughly analyzed
with numbers and calculations. Admittedly to be real accurate, we all seem
to be lacking a good hygrometer. But if an installation does not make sense
with the numbers, there should be an explanation, and a way to make it
right. That's all I'm really trying to point out. Piano dehumidification is
not like voicing: "I do this, that, poke a little here, steam a little
there, and the piano sounds more mellow to me and the notes have a more full
blossoming of partials.....", but rather you can measure the room RH and
temp, measure the temp inside the piano, calculate the resultant RH inside
the piano, calculate the moisture content of the wood at equilibrium
conditions, etc., etc. Even though most of us might not sit down with a DC
in one hand and a calculator in the other, I think it is important to
realize that there is a definitive relationship that can indeed be
determined with accuracy.

> The 50 rod is going to cycle more often than a 25. I believe that rapid
> cycling leads to a more even moisture content in the wood, and less effect
> on the strings. I have no proof of this. I would love to have some.

I agree absolutely. Sorry I can't provide a chart with numbers! However,
more rapid cycling will mean shorter periods of heat and cool, and because
the piano does take time to change its moisture content with changing RH,
the moisture content of the wood will vary less - as it has less time to
vary with the varying RH of the piano interior atmosphere. Now, the strings.
I don't know. I would actually think it might be about the same because
strings seem to react so very quickly.

With Humor Intact,
Terry Farrell