1977 Yamaha U1

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 09 Jul 2001 10:01:10 -0500

Hi John,
             If the piano gets moved around a bit and the floor is a
uneven,  the U1 is suseptable to pitch change.  A discussion took place on
the caut list some time ago.  So plate bolts could be important even, if
the piano is only being moved a foot or so.
The problem can be minimized by adding two cross beams across the back
post.  2  1" X 3" strips of oak made a big difference on the one that I
modified.  The added pieces were glued and screwed to the post.  This is a
class room piano that frequently gets moved from the wall to centre of the
room.  This piano has both a DC and a complete padded cover when not in use.
 I have no doubt you need a DC on this instrument, but it may be worth
asking if they move the piano,  even a small amount. It will rule out that
possibility.
Roger