Damp Chaser in old upright

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Mon, 09 Jul 2001 09:02:13 -0600

Hi Terry,

Time doesn't factor into it. one degree over twenty hours would still be
just *one* btu. I was only defining the *energy* not saying pianos are made
from water.

At 12:14 AM 07/10/2001 +0930, you wrote:
>Hi Don,
>
>Understand what you mean but:-
>
>You say that "A British Thermal Unit is defined as the energy it takes to
>raise one pound of water one degree f."  But you do not give a time span. If
>you immerse a 50 W heater into 1 pound of water for 10 hours what would the
>temperature be ?

It would depend on the starting temperature of the water. If the water was
boiling and you put a 50 w heater into it for ten hours it would be cooler
than when you started.

>However, (just for fun)
>
>If 1 BTU will raise 1 pound of water by 1 degree f., then 180 BTU's would
>raise 1 pound of water by 180 degrees f..  Add this to the 90 degrees f.
>and.
>Now that is getting warm.
>
>Now let us assume that the water in the air in the piano is only about 1/2
>an ounce. Does this mean that the water in the air is going to be heated to
>180 * 16 (ounces) * 2 (1/2 ounce) = 57,160 degrees f. ?
>
>In reality the bar is not that hot but that's the stats. based on BTU's and
>water.
>
>What I do know is that a 50 W rod in a confined semi insulated space (an
>upright piano) is going to heat the internals of the piano up by more than 2
>degrees f..
>
>I will have to measure the direct radiated temperature of the bar, work out
>the insulation factor to the upright piano cabinet, then give up trying to
>calculate what the resultant temp. would be when the outside temp was 95
>degrees f.
>
>All I know is I have felt the heat on my knees when I have been tuning a
>piano that was fitted with a 30W bar with no humidistat, and that was hot.
>
>Oh, and yes, I tune a piano in Finke, in central Australia. It gets up to
>47C there. Fortunately its a dry heat.
>
>Regards
>
>Tony

Regards,