My Hearing Condition ,Please read this

Doctorb01@AOL.COM Doctorb01@AOL.COM
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 10:08:36 EDT

Dear: PTG forum,

       I wrote a very short e-mail yesterday on hearing trouble. I wanted to
see if I got a response, or if I did correctly. I did get some responses and
I am glad, thank you for those who did!

       I want to begin by saying that this will be a rather long letter. My
situation is rather odd, and It would be very much appreciated if anyone can
shed some light on my condition, or is suffering from the same problem.

       To begin, my name is Simone Tucci, and I live in Toronto, Canada. I am
26 years old and I have been tuning pianos professionally since 1998. I am
not a member of the PTG though I do get their monthly magazine. When I began
my career I had perfect hearing, and no genetic hearing disorders in the
family. I was tuning an average of 3 pianos a day sometime 5-6 and sometimes
1, it varied. I also began to work at an institution where there were many
big grands in very small studios. I was coming home at night with headaches,
like I blasted my ears for too long every day. So I decided to wear ear
plugs. So I just bought ear plugs at the local store, 3M brand (foam) were
the ones that I was using. I thought that they were great I could hear
everything that I needed and I was protecting myself. I wore them for a
period of 2 years, every piano I tuned I wore them. Until last October 2000,
that is when the problem began.

       I first noticed that my ears began to ring (tinnitus) mostly in my
right ear. Then I noticed that when I would do something like drop a part or
a screw on my work bench my ear drums would have some sort of popping reflex
reaction. It felt almost as if they popped from out of their footing, I hope
that makes sense! I sort of ignored that symptom, I didn't think that it was
important. So I saw my doctor and he sent me to an ENT. I had my hearing
tested and it came out completely normal. The audiologist recommended that I
get a pair of ER-15 musicians plugs, and continue tuning.

       So I did. I did have to wait for an appointment to see the audiologist
to fit the moulds for the ER-15 plugs, so I went on doing what I was doing.
Then in October 2000 I noticed that is really began to get worse. I noticed
that kitchen noises bothered me, and in the bathroom, and people talking to
me really blew my mind. My ears couldn't take it. I then tried to tune
without the ear plugs and it was Impossible!! I thought that my ear drums
were going to explode. so I got scared. I went to my doctor and he sent me to
a Hyperacusis clinic. Once there, I saw an audiologist and told him the whole
story. He said that it was a classic case where I became excessively
sensitive through the use of improper ear plugs. He tested my hearing and
again it came out as normal as can be and then he arranged for me to have a
ER-15 ear plug fitting. (For those of you who don't know of the Musicians
Plugs there is a ton of stuff on-line.) He also said that I should have a
radio on in the background with it set in between stations, to hear the
static or white noise, this will help to desensitise my ears (brain really)
from sound, and it should take 2-3 months. I was glad to hear that.

       So the months pasted and no change. I kept going back for visits and
telling them that there was no change and they said give it more time. After
6 months I went back and asked them to put me on the TRT ( tinnitus
retraining therapy) this also treats Hyperacusis. So they did a test on me to
see if I was Hyperacusic and I am not. So I told them what do I need to do???
they arranged for me to have a ABR (acoustic Brainstem response test) to see
if there was a problem with the acoustic nerve. Had the test, and came out
completely normal. I asked them What do I do? They recommended that I take
Valium. I said that that is not the answer, that will only dope me up and
cover the disorder and not heal it in anyway.

       So I began to seek out other doctors, I saw a Marshall Chasin, a very
known audiologist that works with musicians, and he did a test to see I was
Hyperacusic and technically I am not. All the other audiologists agreed with
the similar tests. He didn't know what it could be. I also saw an Otologist,
and he did know ethier. He said try Valium.I saw in total 12 doctors between
audiologists, ETS, Otologists, and I also tried acupuncture.

       I have now stopped tuning, because it's unbearable and trying to take
it easy. I am seeking a Homeopathic doctor to see if that can help. I have
also been researching hyperacusis online and I do think that is what I have,
there are different forms of it. I am going to demand to do the TRT so that I
can continue with my life. In addition I also had an MRI and that showed
everything to be normal.

       Just to clarify what is happening with my ears. They are (the ear
drums I think) very sensitive to sound. People talking specially women, and
my own voice, and sudden volume changes, and if at the piano, the higher
register. Not all the notes some here and there. I have distortion to
somewhat loud sounds, but the strangest thing is that if I hear one sound at
the time that is the biggest problem for me. If I go to some dance club I'm
fine, weird!!

       I want to thank all of you people for taking the time in reading this
situation that I am in, and if anybody can tell me something, or is in the
same situations or has questions please, please e-mail me. I got a computer
just to get help from anybody.

       Sincerely, Simone Tucci

Simone Tucci
Toronto, Ontario, Canada