Piano Value Appreciation

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 10:01:00 -0400

Well, this is what I mean. Here is another way to look at it. Judy buys a
Steinway M in 1925 ($30,000 today - maybe $1,000 back then?). John buys a
Baldwin R in 1925 ($15,000 today - maybe $500 back then?). Both very nice
pianos, very musical, capable of satisfying most any professional. I don't
know what these pianos cost in 1925 (does anyone?????) - but likely OK to
presume the Baldwin cost 50% of what the Steinway cost. John takes an amount
equal to the cost of the Baldwin (now he has "invested" as much as Judy) and
puts it in the stock market. After 75 years, with normal maintenance, the
Steinway is worth $6,000 (salvage value of an all-original small S&S), and
the Baldwin is worth $3,000 (it still plays and is not beat up too awful
bad). (And this is not even considering the extra cost of Judy's technician
spraying magic potions and whatnot on her action year after year trying to
get the green goo out!) In the year 2000, does John have $3,000 worth of
stock in the market? Or maybe John could have spent the money putting his
daughter or son through college, bought a business, etc.

So, if you are one of the 98% of piano consumers that are not either a
skilled pianist or a piano technician (or even if you are one of them - the
nicest piano I service is a re-strung 1920s "R"), which piano do you think
would be a better "investment"? I'm quite sure, hands down, the Baldwin R.

You would think with all this steam coming out of my ears, my hearing would
be better.

Terry Farrell