Rainy day tuning: Was: pitch change

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 09:16:12 -0400

>Friends,
>
>Years ago a client called me on the morning I was scheduled to tune
>her piano.  She
>wondered if we should reschedule, since it was raining.  My
>understanding at the
>time was that the tuning doesn't change that fast, so not to worry about it.
>
>But incidents such as Warren's would debunk that.

Was her piano on an outside porch? Probably not.

>   The past couple of years I've
>heard of, and experienced, pianos changing even in the process of
>tuning.  Jack
>Stebbins has a story about doing a concert tuning.  He was part way
>finished when
>someone snapped the air conditioning on, which changed the tuning before he
>finished.

It's happened to me, too. Air conditioning, or even forced hot air
blowing into the piano as you're tuning during the winter, can make
you feel like you're tuning in quicksand. It's best to keep the
temperature constant while you're tuning, however uncomfortable it
may be for you (horribly hot & humid in the summer, too cool in the
winter). In a concert situation you may find yourself stuck, though,
because the comfort of the audience entering the hall in the next
hour is very important.
The only real solution is planning: the venue should have its
heating/air conditioning system running at least several hours before
you're scheduled to show up. Not many hall managers/church custodians
realize this, and few of us inform them in a sufficiently direct
manner.

>What do you tell people on rainy days?

Close the windows!

Patrick