Rainy day tuning: Was: pitch change

Dale Probst wardprobst@cst.net
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 07:09:12 -0500

Dear Clyde,

My standard refrain is "the sun will come out, tomorrow..." If I waited
for the weather to cooperate in Wichita Falls I would never tune a
piano, I would be waiting and waiting and waiting. I have watched for
the phenomenon you speak of and have noticed some drift. But pitch
raises, moving the piano out from the wall and other things cause this
also. I use TuneLabPro and record humidity & temperature every tuning.
TuneLab tells me how much the piano changes, the humidity & temperature
records tell me why. It's important to realize that if the weather
outside the house is affecting the instrument enough to be a problem
that you may also have friction problems in the action (the proverbial
sticking key). Then the customer gets one of the nice DamppChaser
brochures and we talk. But I know you know about DC!

Best,

Dale
Dale Probst, RPT
Member, TEAM2001