Damp Chaser in old upright

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sat, 07 Jul 2001 07:34:14 -0400

Daniel,

You say "most techs say [a Dampp-Chaser system] will ruin it."  Also that you
haven't heard a tech that recommends them.  I find that as a real surprise.  How
many techs have you discussed this with?  That must be in your local area,
because here the piano technician that *doesn't* recommend humidity control is a
rarity.  I will say, however, that pianos have been damaged by incorrectly
installed systems.

Humidity control for pianos is most often done with a Dampp-Chaser system.  I
will agree with you, however, that a humidity-controlled room is a better option
for the piano, if you can manage to do it.  In our area (PA) keeping a room with
an outside wall at 42% during the winter is inviting condensation and rot inside
the walls of your home, if you have organic construction.

Your statement about the salesmen puzzles me also.  Here they are sold almost
exclusively by piano technicians.  I am aware of one music store that sells the
components, because one of my clients bought one there.  It was entirely wrong
for the piano, so she took it back and I did a correct installation.  What other
salesmen are there?

It appears to me that the advice you've received is a local phenomenon, not the
response of piano technicians as a whole.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA