Damp Chaser in old upright

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Fri, 06 Jul 2001 19:26:45 -0600

Hi Daniel,

It's hard to change someones mind once they have made a decision. The
original writer does not mention whether the unit was a full install or
whether it was just some sort of drier bar. DC does *not* recommend using
the product without a humidistat.

It would be nice if a humidifier, dehumidifier, air conditioner, and
heating unit were in every home with a grand piano. There are some
unfortunate draw backs. Dehumidifiers in particular are noisey beasts. The
temptation to turn them *off* when using the piano is almost irresitable.
Of course, turning them *on* afterwards may well be forgotten.

In an upright system a piano will become almost immune to outside changes
of humidity especially if a back cover is used. Tunings on good quality
uprights may exhibit pitch corrections of under 1 cent on any note in a year.

It is true that damppchaser systems do not work as well in Grand Pianos.
If, however, they are properly installed, they can make a dramatic
difference to tuning stability. I recommend a room type humidifier as well
as a damppchaser be used.

I am currently experimenting with a floor length "skirt" so that the system
will function more as it does in an upright.

At 02:39 AM 07/07/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Thanks for that post!
>
>I've been told NOT to get a dampchaser for my grand piano. Most techs just
>say 'that will ruin it', and when you think about it.
>(humidifier-dehumidifier and something to circulate the air).
>
>To summorize my post so I dont have to get 100 angry replies saying that I'm
>all wrong etc:
>I'm a bit skeptic to this dampchasersystem, but I dont say it doesnt work.

>That I know for certain is that the best thing is to get a system to control
>the entire room.
>I'm really curious although I have already made the choice for my piano.

Regards,

mailto:drose@dlcwest.com
http://donrose.xoasis.com/

3004 Grant Rd.