Damp Chaser in old upright

jstuart1 jstuart1@pdq.net
Fri, 06 Jul 2001 20:30:01 -0500

The soundboard and bridges were solid. The strings did not appear to have any
rust on them though one string had been replaced in the trebble. The springs and
wires were in good condition with no evidence of rust. The problem areas seem to
bee the leather on the bridle straps has become brittle. The straps had been
replaced in the 80's. A couple of the jacks and one of the whippens had come
unglued, but the worst effects seem to be the buckskins, sticker felts and the
backcheck felts. The damper felts were all replaced within the last 10 years or
so. I have also noticed several of the hinge pins seem to be very loose in the
joints and had worked thier way out until they were touching the joint next to
them. I do not know the condition of the tunning pins from a tightness
standpoint. One of the hammer shafts had broken off at the hammer butt and with
the jacks laying on the keys, we decided to repair it before attempting to tune.
The Damp Chaser is mounted in the middle of the knee board. I am amazed at how
much dust those rods attract.

While I am definitly a fairly new technician, this experience has led me to
believe there should be a delicate ballance between dryness for the sake of the
sound board, strings and bridges and a certain amount of humidity for the
remaining parts. I am concerned that if the Damp Chaser ever goes out and the
piano is exposed to humidity levels it is no longer accustomed to, that problems
will develop in the sound board and pinblock and other areas as they begin to
expand from the moisture. Again I am quite new at this and am seeking the
experience of others to confirm or deny my thoughts on the matter.

I agree that controlling the climate of the room as a whole would probably be a
better option.

JStuart