shellac sealer on plate yes yes yesYES

Thu, 5 Jul 2001 07:40:09 -0400

On Wed, 04 Jul 2001 16:00:52 -0700 "Diane Hofstetter"
<dianepianotuner@hotmail.com> writes:
  Do you suppose I could have mixed the bronze powder and some powdered
dye stains in the shellac to make it look darker?

Thanks again for the help,
Diane

HI Diane -
Absolutely!  You could even adjust the hue red to orange to yellow, etc.
with the addition of dyes.  A concern however, if this were the actual
finish coat, would be that alcohol soluble aniline dyes are not real
lightfast, and in very short order there could be a shift in color where
any direct sunlight was allowed to get to it.  Of course, in most cases,
this would hopefully be a minimal problem!  An alternative would be to
use the newer metallized dyes, such as Transtints.  They are very
lightfast, and easy to use.  This could certainly be used in touch up
situations where you are trying to match an existing color with a small
repair.
I normally just mix in a bit of gold powder in the sealer coats of
shellac as a means of "heading toward" the gold color that I am trying to
accomplish.  I prefer the finish coats to be lacquer, primarily because I
think it lays out better than shellac when sprayed.
Happy experimenting!
Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com