New kid on the block

Jarred Finnigan jfinnigan@optusnet.com.au
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 21:24:27 +0800

Soopertooner, Sooper#*@*#
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: SooperTooner@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2001 10:33 AM
  Subject: New kid on the block

  Hi all. I'm a "newbie" at this. I've tuned 17 pianos in the last 3 =
months so=20
  am a little past getting my feet wet now. I think I've found a =
different way=20
  to tune pianos and the people I've tuned for say it sounds good. I was =

  watching the tuner work on our BIG grand piano (not a baby grand for =
sure!!!)=20
  at church and after he was done I went home and got my cassette =
recorder.=20
  It's a good one, Japanese made I think but way better than Radio =
Shack.=20
  Anyway I started at the left side of the piano, yelled "Number =
ONE...Number=20
  TWO...etc" into the microphone and recorded each note all the way up =
to the=20
  furthest one on the right. (I'm not a musician so I'm not sure what =
the names=20
  of the notes are.) Pretty neat, huh. The way I figure it, now I've got =
a=20
  recording of a tuning by a professional tuner on a BIG grand piano so =
I'd say=20
  that I've got a pretty good "template" to base MY tunings on now. Like =
I=20
  said, the people I've tuned for liked the way their pianos sounded.=20

  We have another piano downstairs in the Sunday school so to try out my =
tuning=20
  method I opened her up,  played the first sound on the tape and used a =
small=20
  socket wrench and yanked on the black pegs until they sounded like the =
note=20
  on the tape. Then I went to #2 and so on. That worked until I got to =
about=20
  7-8 notes and then there were TWO wires on each note. That got a =
little=20
  tricky! But NOT as tricky as further along where the wires got really =
skinny=20
  and there were THREE of them at a time. Oh Boy!! I thought. What am I =
in for=20
  now? Well it took longer than I thought (about 7 hours) but I got =
through=20
  that rascal. Now (after 17 pianos) I'm down to about 20 minutes. =
Experience=20
  sure does count for something.=20

  Has anyone else tried this method? I'd be willing to talk anyone =
through it=20
  that's interested. Hell, we're all in this together aren't we? One =
hand=20
  washes the other. I believe that trade secrets like this one should be =
shared=20
  for the benefit of all people so I've got nothing to hide. Who knows, =
you=20
  might know something and be able to help me sometime.=20

  I do have one question. When it took me 7 hours I charged the customer =
$20.=20
  Now that it takes me 20 minutes do you think it's fair to STILL charge =
$20 or=20
  should I be charging  $1.00 ( Roughly $20 divided by 21)? Any =
suggestions=20
  greatly appreciated.=20

  That's all for now. It's nice to have others to swap ideas and stories =
with.=20
  I've always been a team player.=20

  Next time I'll tell you all how my repair went on some broken plastic =
(or=20
  nylon) things in a piano called a "Betsy Ross". Isn't that a stupid =
name for=20
  a piano? Next there'll be an "Opray Winfrey" piano. It was a real nice =
one=20
  though. I repaired the parts with pieces of Rigatoni pasta but don't =
want to=20
  "spill the Fagioli" until I see if it works or not. Stay tuned!!! More =
next=20
  time.=20

  Douglas Vitreous=20