what happened

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Wed, 04 Jul 2001 16:45:23 -0600

Hi Newton,

What happend was called the radio and the phonograph. All of a sudden
people could hear the best players in the world. It has continued to happen
as we now have T.V., internet, sat. dishs.

Part of the problem is the "big mac" effect. McDonalds wants all their
product to be identical. *OR ELSE*. Piano makers have fallen into this
trap. Even we as technicians do the same. Look at the Kimball trashing that
went on. Their large uprights were distinctly not junk. They were not
Bosendorfer or Schimel, but they were playeable and fixeable.

Another part of the problem was that Mrs Jones, the local "artist" just
could not compete with the likes of Joeseph Hoffman for example.

Materials became less plentiful. Unions started demanding a living wage for
their members. Governments started enforcing   labor laws and more recently
environmental ones.

I have heard it said (I have NO idea if it is true) that Steinway stays in
New York because they can not afford the clean up costs for their factory
site.

I do agree there were some great makers that produced wonderful
instruments. But there were others who did not.

In 1923 in Canada there were 53 makers. Now there are none.

Regards,

mailto:drose@dlcwest.com
http://donrose.xoasis.com/

3004 Grant Rd.