The Flag

Carl Meyer cmpiano@home.com
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 14:51:07 -0700

Yes,  truth will stand on it's own two feet.  Lies are embellished =
shamelessly and it's a shame the truth is also embellished by some.

Carl Meyer

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Warren Fisher=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2001 1:03 PM
  Subject: Re: The Flag

  Jon,=20
  I showed this to my wife and she mentioned a recent article she read =
in the local paper by Ann Landers about a Dallas historian who said that =
much of this is incorrect. Particularly the part about the "five signers =
captured"......  If I can find the article, I'll post more detail.  I'm =
afraid the creative mailers have got us again!=20

  I found it in today's newspaper.  I'm sending it directly to Jon. It's =
too big to send through Pianotech. Here's what the facts say:=20

  No signer was killed outright by the British and only one, Richard =
Stockton is said to have been imprisoned solely for having signed the =
Declaration.  The others were captured while fighting in ther army =
anwere treated just like any other prisoner (which was fairly harsh), =
but they were not tortured.  Of the 56 signers, 17 (not nine) held =
commissions in the army or did medical duty during the war.  Many of =
those whose property was looted or destroyed managed to re-establish =
themselves financially after the war.=20
      Carter Braxton did suffer financial hardship because of the =
British, but he retained ohter holdings.  What ruined him were =
commercial setbacks after the war. Thomas McKean did not die in poverty. =
In fiact, he was quite wealthy when he died at the age of 83 in 1817.  =
No one knows for sure if Thomas Nelson's home was fired upon (the source =
of this story is family legend), but I heard the home was turned into a =
tourist attraction after the war, and additional connonball holes were =
added for "authenticity."=20
      The other facts are essentially correct, but give the immpression =
died as a result of wounds suffered in the war, or they died in poverty. =
 In reality, the majority survived the war and rebuilt their fortunes.=20
      The signer of the Declaration of Independence kenw they could have =
been targeted by the British as traitors.  They showed tremendous =
courage and bravery by willingly putting their names on a cocument that =
could bring aboutr their deaths. We do not need to embellish the truth.=20
              History Buff in Dallas=20

  DEAR HISTORY BUFF:  Thank you for your excellent research.  You were =
not the only one to tell me that the facts presented in my column were =
misleading.  There was also some controversy about the author.  Some =
readers insisted the original piec was written by the father of Rush =
Limbaugh Jr. (Rush Sr.) during WWII.=20
      another said the aurtor was Peter McWilliams, a libertarian =
writer.  Several said the true author is Gary Hildreth of Erie, Pa.=20

      So, dear readers, those who want the entire history lesson can =
look up the facts at the local library or on the internet.  I've done my =
part.=20
  Copied from Ann Landers column for today.=20

  Jon, I was just ready to post this also when my wife let me have it =
with both barrels. :-)=20

  Warren=20

  Jon Page wrote:=20

    The 56 Patriots Who Signed=20
    The Declaration of Independence

  --=20
  Warren Fisher RPT                   Beginners & Lurkers=20
  fish@Communique.net                 Basic Pianotech discussed=20
  1422 Briarwood Dr.                  Ask any question.=20
  Slidell, LA 70458-3102              fish@gs.verio.net=20
   =20