Rescaling

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Wed, 04 Jul 2001 17:36:17 0000

Ron,
An interesting and well stated reply.  I don't think we should endlessly repeat what has gone before.  Manufacturers of new pianos should be constantly working to improve their instruments or their ability to more consistently turn out great instruments.  Rebuilders are fortunate to have access to education and information exchange and through the trials and experimentations of themselves and others can hopefully elevate the level of the craft.  The fact that there are so many mediocre pianos made from the same recipe that produces great pianos is cause for concern and a challenge to us as rebuilders.  This also provides motivation for study and experimentation. I see no point in rebuilding a lousy piano and having it turn out lousy when it's done.
Part of the point of my original point was (or was supposed to be) that if there is a recipe for a potentially great and unique piano I question whether or not we should change the recipe.  The fact that the recipe also turns out mediocre pianos doesn't necessarily indicate that the recipe is flawed, but that the execution of the recipe is somehow flawed.  I think we should concentrate on understanding what about the execution of the recipe results in some mediocre pianos and concentrate on fixing that rather than changing the recipe.
If Steinway B number 1 sounds great and Steinway B number 2 sounds so-so why do we think that it's necessary to change the scale, change the bridge design, change the soundboard design, etc. in order to get piano number 2 to sound good.  Piano number 1 sounds great with the original design.  I would take this to mean that the design is not the problem, it's the execution of the design.  If we as rebuilders can figure out the execution part and get that right then the piano should sound great after being rebuilt, which was the point of rebuilding it in the first place.  We then have respected the maker's intent and provided an invaluable service to the owner of the piano.  In the process what we've learned and try to share should also be invaluable to makers of new pianos if they choose to listen.

Phil Ford
--

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!