Hammermaker's corner 2.

isaacah isaacah@sprint.ca
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 17:35:32 -0400

Ari Isaac.

Hammer maker's corner 2

G, not a friend, exactly but someone I'd run into off and on for years. =
Currently, remember this is still 1978, he was in his big entrepreneur =
phase of owning airplanes and running a parcel delivery business between =
cities. I was really hot to start making hammers, it was a heady =
thought, to have someone install a set of hammers I made to sound like =
my idea of piano tone and like it or get some pleasure out of hearing =
them played. I'd called airlines and discovered that going to =
boyceville, Ronson's place, was a nightmare so I conceived the idea of =
calling G and chartering a plane to take us down and back on the same =
day.=20

G hahd been brought up by a father who owned a fleebag motel renting =
rooms out by the hour, who thought and acted like he owned the Waldorf. =
Smoked cigars and treated everyone, especially his family, like they =
were not worth very much. G spent his life trying to go his father one =
better. To hear him talk you'd think he knew everyone worth knowing and =
everything there is to know about every subject. He brought loudmouthing =
and tactlessness to a new level.

"Boychik", he used to call me that in those years, he was a few years =
younger than I, "so, you're making hammers now, your new jerk-off?"=20

I was, by this time, so intent on executing my plan that remarks of that =
kind hardly registered.

"I need to go down to New York state", I told him.

"My planes a booked, one is waiting for an engine, the other is busy. =
When do you want to go?"

"next week, Tuesday".

"Let me see the schedule, and you'll have to pay for a pilot, student =
pilots are cheaper, also you'll have to pay for an instructor, can't =
have a student pilot without an instructor".

We took off in the two engine Sesna on a bright spring morning. A few =
minutes out of Rochester NY where we had to put down to clear U.S. =
customs and immigration, the student pilot, silent till then, suddenly =
piped up " the radio is dead". I am, usually, blind. I am, really blind =
and have been for many years but I don't, usually, feel blind. I have =
never let blindness stand in my way. That time I felt really blind and =
it is not a nice feeling. No radio, with all the other jets and planes =
around us with no communication. that's feeling blind all right.

"flip to another channel" G sat in the back seat of the six seater =
plane, Dave, the machinist and I, in the middle and the student and the =
instructor sat up front. He flipped with no audible results, the radio =
remained obstinately silent.

"Kick the bastard" G was becoming frustrated, something he did =
regularly. The student pilot kept flipping and, after a little while the =
radio came alive.

I was just receeding into a calmer space in which I was letting my =
imagination loose on hammer making schemes when, all of a sudden. =
silence. Both engines died out. Funny, that didn't bother me as much as =
the radio dying. The plane kept cruising, the silence was enjoyable but, =
hay, we had no engines.

"You're supposed to change to the auxiliary fuel tank before the other =
one's empty" G was yelling, now and it took all the effort he could =
muster not to include something like "you jerk!".

Once fuel started flowing to the engines, they came back to life.

We landed in Kingston NY and took a cab down to Boyceville.

What I saw at Ronson opened my eyes.=20