S&S plate touch up & Varsol

Sun, 1 Jul 2001 05:38:34 -0400

On Sun, 01 Jul 2001 00:48:05 -0500 jolly roger <baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca>
writes:
Diane wrote:

"I bought a good quality gold enamel and one of those fill-it-yourself
spray bottles.  It looks much better except for the fish-eyes"

Roger wrote:

"Using shellac for the first coat should  prevent the fish eye.  <snip>

 But I do know shellac can be a very effective sealer.  Leave for several
days to harden, before applying the finsh coat.
Hope this may help."
Regards Roger

Hi guys -

I concur with Roger, I have found shellac to be very reliable in this
regard.  Apply the equivalent of a 2 lb cut (two coats of a 1 lb cut
works).  If the shellac is fresh, I have never had trouble recoating in
as little as 2 hours with something like enamel or lacquer.  As an added
precaution, you might consider using dewaxed shellac to promote better
adhesion of the topcoat,

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com