Grand regulating

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 08:04:23 EST

In a message dated 02/26/2001 5:37:08 AM Central Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> Pricey is the key word here. Yes, that was my initial choice.......until I
> priced a slab of granite (about $700). Then I thought of a pool table - a
> high-quality junked one - take the slate out of it - that would probably be
> the way to go. I looked under all the rocks in my backyard, but did not
> find a pool table, so that idea went out the window. That's when I got a
> call from some guy who asked what he could do with an old Lester spinet. I
> told him I'd be right over and went out and hitched up my trailer. I was
> surprised to find how unlevel the back of a piano actually is. But some
> epoxy filler on the back beams and my six-foot flat sander straightened
> that puppy out real nice. Some oak and maple planking, some legs, and I
> have one of the flattest, best sounding regulating tables I have seen!
>
> Terry Farrell
> Piano Tuning & Service
> Tampa, Florida
> <A HREF="mailto:mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com">mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com</A>

I have made 5 or 6 benches with solid core doors, I find them very flat, very
stable and very cost effective (around $40.00 per door).  They are also
available in 32" and 36" widths, perfect for me.  With a white formica top,
hardwood trim around the edge and 2x4 frame with a lower shelf I can build
one of these in 4 hours and have less than $150.00 in parts. I also have put
good quality locking casters on some of my benches, makes them very handy.
By the way I use a let off rack to rough in my settings and then, of course,
finish with the action in the piano.
Whatever floats your boat!
David Koelzer
DFW