Grand regulating + Backcheck Question

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 09:01:16 -0600

>Thanks Tom. I'll try some of that. But not until I have lit a few candles,
>turned out the lights and tried "Blood sacrifice, bat wings and incense -
>not in any particular order.....Ron N". My guess is that Ron's suggestion
>has a lot more potential (for something - spiritual cleansing at least). But
>if his doesn't work, I'll get my checkering file out & try lifting a
>backcheck wire or two (with the lights on).
>
>Terry Farrell

All right, all right, I'll do it straight. If cleaning up the tails with a
quick light sanding, and adjusting the back check angle to the "checks most
reliably in this particular action" position (you know the one) won't make
it work adequately, then it's not going to work adequately until the real
reasons for it not working adequately in the first place are addressed. I
don't much like roughing tails, since that's just medicating the symptoms.
If the tail arc looks reasonable and back check condition and height is in
the ballpark, then I'd check (sorry) the repetition spring next to see if
it's buried in tacky goo. Cleaning, lubricating, and readjusting that
spring heals up a lot of peculiar little checking problems. I'd also look
at the action centers to make sure everything is firm and free.

If the tail arc or back check condition are the limiting conditions to
getting the checking to work, they either need to be corrected or the fact
that the action won't check reliably can be ignored. How high a performance
level is expected from a job where you're working with what you've got, and
how much of a "parts modification" budget are you working within. There's a
realistic limit of expectation in there somewhere too, though it often
surprises me by being higher than I expected. Then again, it's lower once
in a while as well.

Ron N