Grand regulating + Backcheck Question

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@mediaone.net
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 00:29:06 -0800

----- Original Message -----
Subject: Re: Grand regulating + Backcheck Question

> > Does
> >anyone have any tricks/tip for getting hammers to check on these actions
> >without new back checks and arcing the hammer tails?
> >
> in the spirit of our discussion for reconditioning actions without major
time and cost,I'll suggest that for checking problems that roughing up the
tails ( if they are glazed especially) clamping the shanks togrther to
protect the centers first and then use a checkering file  or even a sharp
knife to score the tails. Too rough will eat up the backchecks ,so use
judgement. next , instead of replacing backchecks you can recover the
existing ones with new leather, especially in the middle sections. Also
raising the height of the backcheck by lifting the swedged wire out of the
key about an eighth inch can help. This is assuming correct angle to the
tail ,correct blow, dip, aftertouch etc. Some or all of this can  help
Good luck.     Tom Driscoll.