Verituner Update

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:54:56 -0500

Mr. Carpenter,
    I still wonder about a few things. 1) How far off does a piano need to be
before double tunings are mandatory. 2) In what way, if any, is a pitch raise
feature employed and how does that work? 3) I use TuneLab and find that I can
get embarrassingly close in one pass on a pitch raise. Could the potential users
of your machine expect similar results? 4) I have become quite used to designing
a tuning and then tuning chromatically. I've heard that a piano can be more
stable this way. I then make changes (tweaks) at the end of the tuning. I will
make corrections during if there are glaring problems but that is usually not
the case with TuneLab. If someone like myself were to use your machine would
they have to tune starting with A4 in order to guarantee 440 cps for that note?
5) Given the chromatic tuning style would the Verituner achieve enough in the
way of measurements when starting in the bass? 6) Is there an optimum way to
tune with regard to order of notes tuned? 7) You have stated that the Verituner
is "comparable to or better than alternative ETD methods" and in several ads
have placed your machine above them. Can you give and facts to support this
other than feeling that your method is better than the others? Could one hear,
in a tune-off for instance, a demonstrable difference between the efforts of
your ETD verses the efforts of the 3 other prominent ETD's being sold today? Is
there a way you can quantify your results as being "better" ?

Still not convinced,

Greg

--
Greg Newell