Power Sanders and Ivory Keys

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 22:05:06 -0000

I've found that scraping the ivory first with a stiff mat knife blade, or
razor blade, gets much of the yellowing off prior to fine sanding.  I will
then take it down using form 1000 to 1500 grit and polish with a firm
buffing wheel and polish using a light touch.  To bleach them, if necessary,
you need at least a 15% peroxide solution (drugstore type is 2-3%).  Use
gloves!  Wipe the keys with the peroxide solution on a cotton ball and put
it out in the sun or under a tube type UV light suspended over the keys
about 12-14" for a few hours.  Don't worry that the solution seems to
evaporate immediately, there is still chemical activity going on.  Excercise
caution because the bleaching can come out uneven if the solution is too
strong, put on unevenly, or the light is too close.  Check it frequently and
don't stare into the lights.

David Love