inharmonicity/beats

John Meulendijks jmjmeulendijks@planet.nl
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 22:58:53 +0100

Question: why should you hear a difference tone? There is only root, second
partial, third etc. How could the string be resonating at 1602 minus 800? I
am not really sure about the following, but maybe it helps thinking about
it: In the tone-wheel there is a root, an octave, a quint(fifth) etc. All
these extra wheels happen to function as a root at some time. So the tuning
must be well-tempered, which means the quint is to low, the third is to
high, (i.e. the 5th partial). This should produce the meanest tones ever
possible because of the unevenes of the partials. It does. But not, repeat
not, because of beats. Instead it does because of a total lack of beats. It
sounds terrible fixed concrete. I believe that is the deeper reason for
having the Leslie on it. Any interval is comparatively beatless because the
partials are piced from well tempered half tones.

Please let me know if and why this reasoning is incorrect. Maybe already my
understanding of the Tone-wheel system is......

Apart from this I've experienced many times the feeling (not sure about
actual hearing) of two low bass notes playing a fifth and a fourth under the
note I'm tuning in the 5th and 6th octave. I think they are related to each
other as a a lower octave of the fifth and an even more lower octave of the
tuning note.  Let's assume it happens on c''', then there is a feeling of a
root F on the fifth f''-c''', and a feeling of C' on g''-c'''. A
fysicist-teacher said it was in my head  (but in a polite way: we tend to
complete a sequence of upper partials without having the basic tone (the
first partial) actually sounding). Any other explanations?

John Meulendijks
Tilburg
the Netherlands