brightness of Steinways

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 22:08:45 -0000

There is no right or wrong as to level of brightness, it must be to suit the
pianist.  Steinway hammers are routinely hardened with a dilute lacquer
solution (sometimes plastic disolved in acetone is used for touching up the
strikepoint).  Steinway hammers are very soft out of the box and many stores
selling new Steinways do not harden the hammers as a routine part of the
prep until the customer makes a "brighter" request.  Almost always the upper
two sections need to be brightened, and often the tenor and bass will need
to come up to.  It depends somewhat on the set and the needs of the player.
Your technician should be able to bring the tone up if he/she is familiar
with Steinway voicing techniques without making the piano "pingy" or
metallic sounding.

David Love