Disposal of lead/levers ?ooooooppppss

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 16:50:43 -0500

> Probably worse than the lead, is the open burning of anything.

Your barbecue and your fire place.

What he did NOT say is that the melting of the lead itself is
hazardous, just burning what it is attached to.

Molten lead has been used for centuries in many industries including
printing where I have some experience.  Lead is melted hundreds of
times to produce newspapers.  Most papers have gone to offset
processes which do not use lead but many papers still use rotating
lead cylinders to print your daily dose of news and advertising.

Gee, maybe that IS why I am the way I am.  Not yet as mad as a hatter.

Historical note: hatters (those who make hats) used mercury in the
process and absorbed mercury oxides into their blood streams, even
through the skin, and suffered from heavy metal toxic reactions,
becoming mad.  HgO3 (mercury trioxide) is so toxic just a few dozen
molecules absorbed through the skin can kill you in a few minutes.
Now THERE is a mean element.

		Newton