Disposal of lead/levers ?ooooooppppss

Tom Knudsen tpknudsen@yahoo.com
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 08:08:08 -0800 (PST)

HI;
I have been following this list for a while, thinking
of getting into this area as a hobby. In real life I
am an environmental chemist, so, in this area I can
contribute intelligently.

Whenever lead is heated to the melting point, there is
a partial pressure in the gas phase.
Probably worse than the lead, is the open burning of
anything. Burning generates polynuclear aromatic
hydrocarbons and dioxins which are really nasty
things. They cause problems from cancer to diabeties
to major hormonal disorders and birth defects. The EPA
has determined that open fires are the major sorce of
these componds.
Please, just give your lead pieces to your local
hazardous materials displsal center.
Tom

=====